Disk Erase Options
The Erase Preferences tab allows for users to configure settings for the
KillDisk erase procedures.
Figure: Erase options dialog
- Select entire disk
- Entire surface of the disk will be erased
- Select exact area
- Allows you to use the sliders on the visualization of your disk to select a
particular range of sectors for erasure. You may also click on individual
partitions and the selected individual partitions will be erased.
- Erase method
- One of many internationally recognized erase methods supported by KillDisk.
- Erase verification
- Percentage of disk to be verified after disk was erased.
- Initialize after erase
- Formats the disk to be ready to use after erasure.
- Write fingerprint
This feature will write the specified fingerprint to the first sector of the
erased drive. If a machine is booted from this drive, the user will see this
fingerprint as a message on the screen.
- Erase confirmation
As a safety precaution to prevent accidental destruction of hard drives,
KillDisk has the user type a keyphrase before the erase procedure is
initiated (Figure 3.1.6). By default this precaution is set with the
keyphrase "ERASE-ALL-DATA". This keyphrase can be modified, set as a
randomly generated set of characters, or disabled in these settings.
Figure: Sensitive action confirmation dialog
Also see Report Options for information about erase report.